Expression of Interest
Role: Performance Assessors - Casual
Who: Registered Nurses and Midwives, Year Five and above
The Nursing & Midwifery Council of NSW are seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified registered nurses and midwives who possess a high level of clinical skills and knowledge, and experience in education and assessment. We would particularly like to hear from applicants who specialise in the following contexts of practice – perioperative, paediatrics, midwifery, community practice or emergency – but all applications will be considered.
About the Role
The performance assessors are appointed to facilitate timely performance assessments for registered nurses (Divisions 1 and 2) and midwives as part of the function of the Nursing & Midwifery Council of NSW in accordance with the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW) 86a.
Performance assessors are responsible for undertaking performance assessments on behalf of the NMC as requested, and must possess the skills, knowledge and ability to conduct a fair, valid, reliable and legally defensible performance assessment. Performance assessors are responsible for the preparation and facilitation of the assessment, as well as the provision of a written report for submission to the NMC. Participation in quality improvement and education activities is also expected.
Essential & Desirable Criteria
1. Demonstrated working knowledge of the NMBA Standards for practice and Code of conduct
2. Current registration as a nurse (Div 1) or midwife with no restrictions on practice, and whose principal place of practice is within New South Wales
3. Demonstrated knowledge and experience of conducting performance and competency assessments in clinical and/or simulated settings
4. Post-registration clinical or adult education qualification relevant to the position
5. Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated focus on written communication / report writing
6. At least five years of clinical experience (full-time equivalent) and at least two years of experience in conducting assessments
As part of the application process, applicants may be expected to attend an orientation workshop at the Council offices in the Sydney CBD.
How to Apply
All applications are to include:
- A copy of current CV (maximum 3 pages) including your contact details, relevant experience, knowledge, skills
- CPD record for the previous two registration periods
- Details of two referees, at least one of which is your current line manager
- A response to the targeted questions below (no more than 2 pages in total):
- How you would ensure that an assessment is reliable, valid and legally defensible? Include a description of the essential components of an assessment, and an outline of the type of information you would provide in a report for a regulatory performance assessment.
- Describe a challenging performance assessment you have conducted and how you have tried to address these challenges.
Closing date for submissions: Friday, 29 November 2019
All applications should be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information or questions about the role, please contact Sue Griffiths, Nurse Educator/Performance Assessment Program Coordinator, on 1300 197 177.